Sunday, January 11, 2009

Body Worlds & my own old woman body

Yesterday we finally made it to the Body Worlds 3 exhibit at The Leonardo in Salt Lake. We tried to recruit people to join us, but turns out most people are grossed out by human bodies with their skin peeled off. Who knew. Being somewhat of an easily queezified person myself, I was surprised at how non-grossed out I was.  Body worlds has been in SLC for three months now, and apparently we shouldn't have waited until the last week to attend, because the wait in line was 2 hours long (even though we bought our tickets ahead of time). Sad. But besides that it was really great! My favorite part was the plastinized Camel. They even had some tufts of fur on the top, and a baby camel beside the mama, it was very neat. 
The whole time I was searching for the part of the body I am most interested in at the moment, the Thyroid cartilage. And I finally found it. Why might I be interested in a random part of the throat? Well I'll tell you. 

Last sunday (during sunday school actually, talk about unfortunate timing) whilst yawning (not that the lesson was boring, I'm just a yawner I guess) my neck froze up on the left side and 'seized' apparently. When this happens, I can't swallow, turn my head, talk or open my jaw. So, like I said, I was frozen. Weird I know. This has happened before, but never for longer than like a minute, it usually goes away. So the instant that it happened I turned to Chris and he knew what it was, and I got up and walked out of the classroom. Only this time the seizing wouldn't go away. 

So we went home, tried to put heat on it to make it stop, took some pain killers, still wouldn't stop. Tried this for five hours..and finally went to the urgent care up in the riverwoods. Basically they chalked me full of benzodiazepines (horrible addicting medications such as Valium, Ambian, lorazapam, klomazapan, etc, don't get me started) and a couple hours after that it finally died down.

Since all they did was pretty much sedate me and couldn't tell me what the heck is wrong with me, we went to an otolaryngologist (throat and ear doc) on Tuesday. After scoping my throat (ew) he told me that my Thyroid cartilage is bigger/weirdershapped than a normal persons, and if I yawn too widely or open my jaw too big, basically the Thyroid cartilage touches the Hyoid bone above it, and they aren't supposed to touch. So.....this causes the crazy spasm/seizing that is like no pain I've ever felt before. 

Basically my options are 1) have an incredibly expensive surgery to get the thyroid cartilage cut down and have an inch and a half scar line on my throat. or 2) never yawn again. You heard me. Basically I'm supposed to suppress my yawns when they start, so if you ever see me getting tired and I start doing weird things...this is why. The doctor is going to give me some non benzo muscle relaxers if it still happens again..but basically I'm currently scared to death to yawn. Talk about insane.

17 comments:

Katie Rod said...

Woah, that's crazy. Both the no yawning and the body exhibit. I am glad that you found out what it was though.

I have arthritis already (yikes!) in my hands and can't ride roller coasters like I used to because it makes me sick as a dog. It sucks to get old.

Gisela-David said...

I don't think I have ever heard of anything like that. Would that have been something they could have checked when you were little? I'm glad you were able to figure out what it was and get some help. I hope you feel better and the doctors find other ways to make it go away.

Kika VilaNova said...

I'd have to do the surgery! I love to yawn!

how crazy!

hope it doesn't happen again!

have a great week :)

Johanna said...

That is so scary! Can't they do anything else for you? I hope it never happens again, and if it does, that the doctors will figure out some more options for you.

Sarah said...

oh my goodness! who would've thought yawning could be so dangerous? eek amy! i'm glad though that the doctor figured it out.

rachel b. said...

Man, I SO wanted to go to BodyWorlds while we were in UT for Christmas, but we were way too cheap to pay for it.

And bummer about your thyroid! I've never been much of a thyroid fan myself, but all I have to do is take 2 little pills every day to bring it up to speed. And I'd have to say, as tough as it is to remember to take those really foul-tasting pills, I think you've probably got it worse :-( Poor girl. Good luck!

Nat said...

Holy freak. Seriously. Good luck with that.

I also loved the Body Worlds!

Travis and Becca said...

I know that post isn't supposed to be funny, but it was kind of funny! I cannot believe that! Remember when that happened at the Rugby game... or at your meeting at work? At least somebody finally told you what it was though! Good luck trying not to yawn.

When on Saturday did you go to Body Worlds? We went to the Jazz Game and I kept thinking I needed to call you just in case you were going to the game and I kept thinking there was no way you would be randomly going to the game. But-- you might have been in SLC the same time as I was. LAME!

Lauren Davison said...

Holy smokes! That is no good. Dumb thyroid.

Amy Jane said...

Update: suppressing a yawn sucks. But I'm doing good at it! Thanks for all the supportive comments!

Bex- Wtc you should have called me. We totally could have hung. haha. Since the bodyworlds line was megafreakinglong they had this little skeleton display that showed anything that you would text to it, and Chris's was, "Hey isn't this the line for the Jazz game?" Aw man. so funny. So yes..next time you go to a Jazz game..give me a ring. You never know. :)

karlee said...

yeah. I just talked to you about this in person, but I just have to say. that is so ridiculous that it is considered an elective surgery. hello? it isn't an elective medical problem.. so...oh i'm all bent out of shape.

Carolyn said...

Wow! Good luck with no yawning! I guess it's making you ultra aware of how often and when you yawn, I think at least half of the time when I do yawn, I'm not even aware I'm doing it. So sorry you had to go through such a horrible day!!

Katrina said...

That's crazy Amy! I, as a speech therapist, you know am a swallowing expert and very much in full knowledgeability :) of the mouth and throat area and all of its parts. I've never heard of such a thing. Good luck with the no yawning. Also, never hurts to get a second opinion, especially in regards to the surgery option. Good luck!

Miriam said...

Yep, I have never heard anything like that. I'm not sure I could never yawn again so hopefully you can learn some great techniques...is there a support group?

TD Quong said...

That is the saddest story ever! I am so sorry! Sometimes when I yawn too big my jaw pops, but nothing as painful and horrible as that! I'm so sorry missy. How do you not yawn??? sheesh... Good luck!

TD Quong said...

Is it totally lame that I really feel like I need to yawn now?

Amy Jane said...

Thanks Trina! I really should get a second opinion..

And I should just start up my own support group! How funny would that be!?

And Dominique! haha..I basicallyl just feel myself start to yawn and then stifle (is that a word?!) it. Or I start to open my mouth and then just have to shut it and yawn sortof without opening my mouth/jaw..yeah. Its weird. I'm a freak. A freak I tell ya!