Tuesday, September 9, 2008
Horrible monstrous beast
(title inspired by Beauty and the Beast) Today I felt like about the meanest person in the whole world. I had to fire a girl at work. This was a first for me, and let me tell ya - I think I felt worse than she did. She actually took it pretty well and just asked if she left anything there and that was that. I had to prep myself to call her...repeating in my head what I would say and how I could phrase it to be as nice as humanly possible and then wait till I was calm enough to call her without breaking down. Call me sensitive, but it was hard! I hope I never get asked to do that again, 'cause let me tell ya. I am not cut out for it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
ugh! i think that you would be a beast if it wasn't hard for you to do... i am so sorry though. that is the worst part of supervisor responsibilities. way to get through it.
So sorry Amy.
I know how you feel in one way, though, because it is always sad when I have to request that someone be sent to prison. Somtimes necessary - always sad.
oh, I feel for you! That's something I NEVER want to do. I think I would be crying if I had to do it.
That must have been so hard! I'm glad that you didn't have to tell her in person though.
Hang in there, Amy.
My first firing was very, very hard too, particularly since it involved security escorting the employee out of the building. Not fun for anyone.
But hey, if I were going to be fired, I would definitely want you to be the one firing me. :-)
Wow, that's rough! It's always hard to tell people bad news and to give them negative feedback. Why do we shy from telling people the truth when it's bad? I'm glad to hear that you don't like doing it because that means you actually care about people!
Post a Comment