Its crazy how you can recall exactly what you were doing years down the road from a momentous day (such as this). What were you doing?
Thursday, September 11, 2008
7 years ago
Seven years ago today was Sept 11th. Wow, has it really been that long? I have no intention of getting political here (being one who tends to be on the moderate side). I just wanted to say that I remember that fated day. I remember being in 11th grade at good old HRVHS. It was early in the morning and my Dad had flown out to Denver. I remember hearing the news at school and immediately stopping all class lecturing to watch the news. We were glued to it. In awe. And having my Dad out on a plane while destruction was happening. This made it personal for me, and very frightening. Luckily my Dad's flight got re-routed and the worrying didn't go far.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
I was riding the bus into downtown Seattle.
When I heard the first news reports - which speculated there were up to 10 more hijacked planes - I remember having the distinct feeling of fear as I came out of the bus tunnel and faced the huge buildings. They were no longer just tall buildings, in an instant they had become potential TARGETS.
And then, in a daze, I watched as thousands of people poured out of those buildings like rats from a sinking ship.
What a terrible day. I remember it like it was yesterday.
I was actually home sick from school. I had slept in that morning until 11 am or so and decided to lay down on the couch and watch 7th Heaven on tv. I turned on the tv and every channel had the same video going. I was kind of in a weird fog from the sickness, so I didn't really get what was going on and just laid on the couch. My mom came running in and said she was going to run up to the schools to pick up all my siblings! Then, it kind of stuck in my head that something was going on.
It is crazy how we all can remember what we were doing at that time in history. Probably something the youngins will ask us about when we get old.
I was in my freshman bowling class at Ricks College (yeah, it was still Ricks back then). There was a buzz going around about something happening in NY... I thought it was a joke. I wish it was, actually. I swore I'd never forget my feelings of patriotism that followed in the next few weeks.
I was getting ready for work, listening to X96. They announced that a plane had hit one of the Twin Towers and they thought it was wrong information. But then I listened to news radio on the way to work and I was just shocked. At work all day we just watched the news. I was glued to the tv any chance I could get. I still remember how it felt when I watched the towers falling. It definitely made me grateful for my country.
Yes, I had dropped Jim off at the Portland airport - drove all the way back to Hood River and Jake came running out of the house and told me there had been a terrorist attck and I needed to go back to the airport to pick up Jim. We went and turned on the tv and watched live in horror as the second plane hit the second tower.
It was like watching a horror movie. only real.
Jim had gotten on the plane and then they grounded all flights and he got off.
I remember that day, and also as a little 3rd grader on the day JFK got shot. We stopped class and watched tv coevrage all day. I remember watching Walter Cronkite - the old salty tough newsman - cry.
Two days that will live in infamy in my life.
Post a Comment