Tuesday, August 12, 2008

What a SCHAM (scam+shame)

I don't know why this story makes me feel totally HAD. Chris and I have had a fun time watching the olympics and we've been watching semi-religiously (we don't have cable..we have a tv, but not tv..you know). We basically have family members tevo (sp?) it for us, and also watch the stats online (yay for not paying for cable!). The opening ceremonies (however amazing it was) had a MILLI Vanilli stunt. The oh-so-cute little Chinese girl who sang the traditional hymn in the ceremonies was actually lip syncing. No joke. They had another little girl sing it, but apparently the real singer didn't portray the China they wanted to present (ie: she had buck teeth).
Sad! Check here to see the article on the whole ordeal. AND apparently those footprint fireworks at the ceremonies....computer graphics. What is going ON? And this one is more of a conspiracy theory, but seriously people, are the Chinese girl gymnasts REALLY sixteen(age minimum)? I'm thinking they are about eleven. Maybe twelve. Teentsy!!  I don't know why this all makes me feel so worked up, but I just feel taken..taken I tell you!!

6 comments:

Sara Newton said...

OH Amy, I love hearing your voice when you write! I do feel a bit taken by China and totally agree about the gymnists not being 16. My grandma and I were talking about that just the other day!! How funny...and sad at the same time.

Johanna said...

Wow, that is really sad. I can't believe that! And I agree about the gymnasts.

elise and jeff said...

I found out about that too...Superficial huh? And I know just what you mean about the Gymnists...my husband said they only look 8 years old...who knows?

Lauren Davison said...

Yeah. Crazy. But in their defense with the fireworks, apparently they only CGI'd some for the broadcast because it was too dangerous to get close enough to catch all of them. or something. but considering the buck teeth girl, they may have lied about that. ;)

TD Quong said...

AGREED! Did they think it just wouldn't come out? That no one would notice? Geez louise China! What a disappointment... and especially those little cheater gymnasts taking the gold when they're not even old enough. Honestly! I felt so bad for the US yesterday. Poor girls. It was sad.

Anonymous said...

Very sad.

I'll bet the music director who fessed up to the whole thing is hatin' life right now. He is basically quoted as saying "the government made me do it", which is, in China, a very scary proposition indeed.